We love cake here at MTB Girls Ride, who doesn’t? But that guilty feeling after a great big slab of cake does certainly know how to put a dampener on our cake eating!
So we have made it our mission to keep finding delicious recipes that won’t leave you feeling mega guilty.
This gluten free apple & almond cake is our new favorite pre & post ride snack.
3 sharp eating apples peeled, cored and chopped ( we used Granny Smiths)
1 Lemon, juice only
200g golden caster sugar
8 medium free-range eggs
325g ground almonds
½ tsp almond extract
65g flaked Almonds
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees, grease the baking tray of your choice (we used a rectangular baking tray), make sure its a deep one.
- Place the peeled apple in a pan with the lemon juice cover and leave to simmer for 7 minutes, check to see if the apples are soft enough to mash if not leave on the heat for another few minutes, if they are soft enough mash with a fork.
- Leave the apple puree to cool.
- Once apples have cooled put the apple purée, eggs, ground almonds, almond essence, remaining caster sugar and approximately one tablespoon of the remaining lemon juice into a food processor and blend together.
- Once blended put mixture into baking tray and sprinkle almond flakes over and place in the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes but check after 30 if cake is browning to quickly then cover with foil or baking paper.
- Once you take the cake out the oven leave to cool, cake is delicious served warm or cold.